Tuesday, April 16, 2013


Bathtubs ... Jackie Gleason  ... The Zen Master

When I was 5 years old, I came down with rheumatic fever.  I don't really remember much about being sick or my hospital stay, but what I do remember is being put in an ice bath.  Apparently my temperature was quite high and that is what they did in the 60's.  Anyway, all I did was scream for my dad ... and this is what I remember, him in the doorway and then sitting next to me in that horrible ice bath holding my hand.  I felt safe and strong with that connection and it got me thru.  When I got home, needless to say I did NOT like to take a bath, and Saturday night was bath night - always was always will be ... thanks Mom.  So Dad would roll the portable black and white TV from their bedroom to the bath and Dad ... always Dad, would sit on the toilet (lid down) and I would take my bath while we watched the Jackie Gleason show with the June Taylor Dancers.  See Dad loved Jackie Gleason and I wanted to be a June Taylor dancer, so it was our thing ... for a little while. 

Fast forward to my 20's.  Dad and I barely spoke, to much anger ... mostly me.  Mom was frantic, she knew she was dying and going to leave Dad to me, there was no one else, my sister was dead and my brother had really nothing to do with the rest of us.  So mom was always trying to come up with ways to get Dad and me to be happy together .... Jackie Gleason was coming to town in a play.  Mom got tickets for Dad and me and after a lot of convincing I agreed to go ... then it happened, Jackie died .. no show.  I think both Dad and I were relieved.

Spin a head in time again, now in my 40's, that horrible summer.  Dad was on my back deck almost daily, and would have me sit, for a little while and just hold my hand.  I felt safe and strong again and it got me thru.  Somewhere I know Jackie Gleason and his band was playing .... and the June Taylor dancers were dancing.  Mom smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment